AutoHotkey is a completely free, open-source software with the automation and macro-creation process in its own focus. Through this software, users can automate repetitive tasks.
The software is driven by its own custom scripting language which is aimed at providing custom keyboard shortcuts – also known as hotkeys. For those who are new to this kind of programs, I would recommend you to visit this site. There, you will learn how to create your first macro.
What you can do with AutoHotkey?
AutoHotkey has several features which you might want to explore and use:
- Full support for keyboard, mouse or even gamepad mappings,
- A functional real-time auto-replacement engine,
- Simple and powerful scripting language for hotkeys and macros,
- Scripts are backward compatible with most existing AutoIt2 scripts as well,
- Automatically convert a script to an executable file (EXE),
- Including AutoScriptWriter, a popular macro recorder,
- Completely free and open-source software
If you need a software with which you need to map default keyboard, mouse or gamepad keys than this might be the right program for you.
AutoHotkey is a popular software, so there it is no surprise that the language is supported in major IDE editors.
In case you are wondering what you can do with this kind of software, there are only a few examples:
- Set keyboard shortcuts to open favourite folders on your computer,
- You can also set hotkeys which are able to open or type certain websites,
- You can practically tie any application on your computer to a certain key combination,
- It might be useful to use this software to create templates for common e-mails for example
AutoHotkey is one of the most powerful applications with which you can do a lot when it comes to hotkeys.
- Has tons of free libraries
- Easy to learn and powerful
- Remap keys and buttons on your keyboard, gamepad or mouse
- Good documentation
- Uses own programming language