Darktable is an open source virtual light table and darkroom software for photographers, and it is well known as the best free Adobe Lightroom alternative.
It stores and manages your digital negatives in a database, allowing you to view them and quickly develop and enhance your raw images.
This software includes image editing options specifically aimed at raw photo post-production. The main focus of Darktable is improving a photographer’s workflow by handling a large number of images at once.
Just like Lightroom, the Darktable offers a non-destructive photography editing, meaning that the original image file is never changed by editing. Instead, the software keeps all editing changes and information about each image.
As of the time of writing this article, Darktable includes 48 image adjustment plugins, divided into five different groups:
- Basic group – Functions such as corp, resize, white balance, invert etc.
- Tone group – Adjust tone mapping, curves, levels, and filling
- Color group – Color profile setup, color correction, color contrast etc.
- Correction group – Spot removal, lens correction, denoise, sharpen etc.
- Effects group – Add effects, such as watermarks, bloom, shadows etc.
Overall, Darktable is a very nice piece of software which can do a lot. If you are looking for an open source alternative to Lightroom, you should definitely give Darktable a try.
- User Interface - 8/108/10
- Functionality - 7/107/10
- Speed - 8/108/10
Darktable is an open-source software, designed to be a free Lightroom alternative. It is available on multiple platforms, supports RAW image view/editing features and much more.