Double Commander is a cross-platform and open source file manager with two panels side-by-side. It is inspired by the popular Total Commander and even features some new ideas and functions within the software.
This is really a powerful software, which allows you to even compare and sync directories. It is able to compare two folders by date stamp and by file size as well. Giving you an opportunity to spot different or identical files within seconds.
Double Commander handles Archives like sub-directories, allowing you to easily copy, transfer and share files from them. Currently supported archive types are ZIP, TAR, GZ, TGZ, RAR, DEB, BZ2, RPM, and CPIO. Support for other archives can be added by using add-ons.
This software also supports Total Commander plugins. With them, you can easily extend the functionality of the software and add support for new file types, archives etc. However, it supports WCX, WDX and WLX plugins.
Main Features of Double Commander
This software has a lot of useful features and functions you might try. Among others, here are the key features for this great little software:
- Full Unicode support within the application,
- Dual-pane UI which allow you to browse through the files with ease,
- Integrated multi-rename tool,
- Tabbed interface with custom columns settings,
- Integrated text (file) editor with syntax highlighting,
- Built-in file and archive viewer,
- Support for deep search functionality,
- Support for Total Commander plugins (WCX, WDX, and WLX).
In general, this is a very quality software with which you can speed up your everyday file browsing, handling, and searching functions.
Double Commander Rating
- User Interface - 8/108/10
- Functionality - 8/108/10
- Speed - 9/109/10
Double Commander Summary
This open source file manager is really a powerful file manager with some useful features, such as integrated text editor (with syntax highlight support), file viewer with HEX and/or binary values, archives support and great search functionality as well.