FTP (File Transfer Protocol) is often the simplest way to transfer files between computers in a network, or between your PC and a server.
Simple user interface
If you’ve ever used an FTP client before, FileZilla’s two-pane design will be immediately familiar and you will be ready to start transferring the files.
Everything you need is within reach, with icons for toggling queue processing, refreshing folders in order to see the changes and even reconnecting to the last used server.
It uses tabbed interface which allows you to perform multitasking and browse multiple servers at once or even transfer files simultaneously between them!
Easily set up new connections
FileZilla has a very neat Site Manager which allows you to store and control the new connections.
From the Site Manager window, you are able to add and categorize new connections. Currently supported protocols are FTP (File Transfer Protocol) and SFTP (SSH File Transfer Protocol).
Advanced file transfer options
FileZilla has one of the most advanced file transfer engines. It can even pick up aborted downloads or uploads if the connection is dropped. It supports resume option which means that the FTP process (downloads or uploads) can be paused and continued.
It has an integrated Keep Alive engine which retains a usable link if the remote server is busy. You can connect to any FTP/SFTP server with ease, despite the presence of firewalls and/or SSL protection.
FileZilla: Other useful features
Here are some of the best features which are not listed above:
- Has an effective (per-server) bookmark system which allows you to access remote folders easily;
- Directory comparison feature for comparing local and server files in the same directory;
- Supports remote file editing, for quick file changes on server side on-the-fly. Edit files on your computer and once its saved, it will re-upload it back to the server;
- Synchronized directory browsing support and logging functionality;
- Search files on the servers remotely with included remote file search functionality.
I have been using FileZilla for several years. I can say that it definitely represents the standard in this field, because of its phenomenal compatibility with FTP servers and great stability and useful features.
FileZilla 64-bit Rating
- User Interface - 8/108/10
- Functionality - 7/107/10
- Speed - 8/108/10
FileZilla Client is a fast and reliable cross-platform FTP, FTPS and SFTP client with lots of useful features and an intuitive graphical user interface.