Notepad++ is the most popular open source text editor. It is extremely lightweight and fast application. Since recently, it is available for 64-bit Windows operating system as well.
Notepad++ is one of the oldest and the most popular free and open source IDE with some advanced features and with a good plugin support. It is also available as a native x64 application for Windows.
Simple user interface
Once you open the program for the first time, you will see simple user interface and a lot of small buttons at the top.
These buttons provide a lot of standard operations, such as opening and closing documents, copy, paste, undo/redo functions and more. Notepad++ offers as much functionality as possible in just one screen and that is always a good thing for me.
Amazing editor for quick code edits
Notepad++ is an amazing text editor which supports a variety of languages. Features, such as code completion, automatic formatting, bracket completion and syntax highlighting work exactly as you would expect from such kind of software.
If you don’t save your work in this text/code editor, it is going to be cached and saved – even if you unexpectedly close the program or even shutdown your system.
Why should you use Notepad++?
- Extremely fast and lightweight application
- Supports syntax highlighting for many languages
- You can also manually define syntax highlighting
- Regular Expression (Perl-based) support in search
- Document mapping support to browse through the large code easily
- Muti-View and Multi-Document support
- Effective macro-recording and macro playback support
- Integrated bookmark system within the application
Notepad++ is a must have code editor because it opens extremely fast and has decent code highlighting and code completion features. Amazing tool if you need to view files quickly.