PuTTY is a free and open source terminal application for Windows. It’s one of the most popular telnet apps for Windows operating systems.
It is able to do basic serial terminal communications between your system and different protocols, it is also able to perform secure file transfers via SFTP and SCP.
Developers, system and server administrators and other IT professionals that need to remotely connect to different protocols will find PuTTY extremely useful.
This little software comes with amazing configuration options, ability to save connections and extremely fast speed and resource usage. It’s a must-have application for most users to connect servers remotely.
Windows don’t ship with the tools which enable you to do similar tasks, leaving PuTTY to nicely fill this gap.
This free Telnet and SSH client allows you to connect any remote machine and to use it in the simplest way possible from Windows OS. Despite its simplicity, it has much more options than other (even commercial) similar software.
It has a ton of customization options to make your terminal look and feel the way you want it to. Allowing you to easily change the font size/color, window size etc.
PuTTY Forks (Kitty)
There are many PuTTY forks created over the years. Third-party developers try to add new functionalities and options inside the PuTTY client.
The most popular and the most active fork of this great little software is Kitty.
Kitty adds several additional options that are not included in the original program, such as:
- Login to your saved sessions with passwords,
- Ability to execute automatic commands once logged on the specific session,
- You can define custom icons for each saved session,
- Run locally-saved scripts to remote server session,
- You can also use a custom background to your telnet client.
- Save sessions in order to access them later,
- There is a portable version of this software available,
- Execute Unix commands through Windows,
- Extremely simple to use and connect to remote server,
- Free and full-featured telnet and SSH client for Windows systems,
- Offers the ability to create a TCP SSH tunnel.
- No option to save passwords for each session,
- No tabbed windows interface so every session needs its own window.
PuTTY gives you the same telnet experience that you might get on Linux systems when it comes to accessing the remote system through the command line interface.
- User Interface - 8/108/10
- Functionality - 9/109/10
- Speed - 10/1010/10
PuTTY is a free and easy to use Telnet and SSH client, mainly used on Windows OS. Allowing you to simply connect to the remote terminal in seconds.