Visual Studio Code is one of the best, if not the best free Integrated Development Environment (IDE) available at this moment.
VSCode is easy to set and use. It is filled with awesome options and features and its updated regularly. There are many available plugins which can help you code in almost any available language.
Customizations and Extensions
You can customize Visual Studio Code to suit all your needs. There are a lot of available extensions completely for free. With these, you can easily install these you would use.
Out of the box, VSCode supports syntax highlighting, bracket matching and powerful code snippets for the most popular programming languages.
Additionally, you can switch to side by side editing, which allows you to edit two files at once.
This IDE also has an integrated full support for Git/TFS so you can easily make commits and pushes to these file version control services.
The preview feature is also integrated into the software. We can easily mark the code and check the preview in real-time.
Debugging with support for breakpoints is also integrated into Visual Studio Code, so we can easily solve issues in our code.
Visual Studio Code cheat sheets (PDF)
This IDE also comes with a built-in integrated terminal which can be run in your choice of shell. Everything is done with care and runs fast together.
VS Code Pros
- Open source software available for 3 major platforms,
- An amazing number of extensions with which you can code/debug in practically any language,
- Integrated full support for version control services,
- Integrated functional and fully customizable terminal,
- A lot of available options and features for developers,
- Really fast and responsive IDE engine,
- Updated regularly with new features and optimization improvements.
VS Code CONS
- Manual customization with JSON file might annoy some users,
- Some minor bugs from time to time.
Visual Studio Code builds on features that other free editors have rolled before, such as file versioning integration, windows split feature and an extensive extension library. Somehow it manages to bring all these features together without sacrificing speed nor stability of the software.
Visual Studio Code Review
- User Interface - 9/109/10
- Functionality - 10/1010/10
- Speed - 9/109/10
Visual Studio Code Summary
Visual Studio Code is one of the best free text/code editors which you can use at this moment. It is regularly updated by Microsoft and has a huge list of available extensions for free.